Must Watch

Lidiya is finally reunited with her family

It was a scene straight out of a tearjerker as a young woman rushed to hug an elderly woman wandering unsteadily towards her amid the lush green of a coffee estate. Anjali, 31, and her mother Chaitra were not part of a scripted reunion in Mudigere taluk of Chikkamagaluru district on Tuesday. The story begins 22 years ago with the separation of Anjali, Chaitra and Kalimuttu’s sixth child. The couple moved from Tamil Nadu to Mudigere in Karnataka to work on a coffee estate. Chaitra recalls the tragic events that occurred at the turn of the century, claiming that timber merchants from Kerala used to visit Mudigere during that time period. To transport the timber boards, several of them brought elephants and mahouts. “A mahout’s family slept near the estate where we worked, and the children of both families played together.” Anjali vanished one day. I searched for her throughout the house, but she was nowhere to be found. She was said to have accompanied the mahout’s family. “However, there was no way we could locate her,” Chaitra explained. Since she was impoverished, she did not file a police report. Anjali, at nine years old, moved to Kerala with the mahout’s family and worked as a domestic helper for several years before marrying Nellamani Saji, a small-time artist. Following her marriage, she informed Mr. Saji of her ancestry, and he made contact with Mudigere residents. I was able to reach Monu, a Mudigere social worker, with the assistance of friends in Kozhikode. Ms. Chaitra was located a few days ago with the assistance of his Mudigere estate owner friends. Following that, he approached her and questioned as to the whereabouts of her daughter. “I acquired information from Anjali that corroborated Chaitra’s assertions. On Monday, I photographed her and produced a video statement, which I then submitted to Anjali. “She swiftly responded, indicating that she was her mother,” Mr. Monu added. Mr. Saji and Anjali, who is now a mother of three children, drove to Mudigere through Mangaluru on Tuesday, where they encountered Ms. Chaitra with Mr. Monu and other reunion organizers. Chaitra now lives alone following the death of her husband, with her other children working on separate estates.
After meeting her mother, Anjali immediately introduced her husband, whose efforts were instrumental in discovering and reconnecting mother and daughter.

Related Articles

Back to top button